domingo, 9 de febrero de 2014

Practical English Usage: The book and the App.


Probably if you are reading this, you are already familiar with Practical English Usage as a book, and know how practical it is. There are many other interesting, well-known books, like Quirk and Greenbaum's A Student's grammar of the English Language which I used in college. There are plenty of books on grammar geared specifically either to students or to their teachers. 

Other grammar books include exercises. I have already spoken in one of my old posts about the classic English Grammar in Use which continues to be an excellent reference book for students and teachers, either in its original form or in its manifold reincarnations. 

But this one is just there to help you solve doubts. It is clear, easy to use and to the point. And now there is an app and for which I gladly paid a little over 20€. The opening screen looks definitely familiar.


The look and feel inside is equally practical and nifty. Since it is an app, the in-built instructions on how to navigate it are welcome:



The app offers you several "views" or approaches to the information. Watch out for the icon (flower? cabbage?) which appears on the front of the book and to the right of the word index in the following screenshot. (To the right of the word "index"):



Here the same icon appears next to "contents overview",  but transformed, because it is a different view.


Yet another view, the topic index search. Again, the icon tells you which environment you are in.


Do you remember that grammar point you searched a while ago? The app remembers it for you.


And if you want to keep tabs of the grammar points you like, you can create favourites. Remember your old book full of bookmarks and highlighted sections?


Although I wonder what this is doing in a grammar book, I think it is very welcome anyway in a reference book.


All in all, it is as complete as the book on which it is based, the interface is simple and practical and it allows to manage the information in useful ways. The creators seem to have had in mind what people use the book for, and so the result is really functional. Because I am a sentimental, sometimes I go back to my old paper version, but I can carry this around with me, even in my phone!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario